The 1920 census showed 506 people in the Village of Oakwood. A few of the prominent citizens were; J. Smith Mason-hardware & lumber store, Fred Oakwood-manager of the elevator, Charles C. Andrews-bank cashier, Alma Alvelson-telephone operator, George Snider-township assessor, Frank Stiner-restaurant, Zarah Saylor-retail store, Clifford Brothers-town clerk, Newton Longstreth insurance agency, Thomas Hailes-salesman for Standard Oil, William White-fireman on the railroad and James Carpenter-well driller. E.N. Longstreth retired after several terms as mayor. New officers elected were; J. Smith Mason-Mayor, Joe Cassel-Clerk, S. McPherson, Elmer Roth, J.W. France and C.W. Tevebaugh Trustees.
Their first action was to have Olmstead Street, Finley Avenue and Scott Street graveled. Oakwood now had a “Chemical Engine” to fight fires. On a run to C.W. Truax’s home they ran down a local boy, Paul Davidson. He was bruised but had no broken bones.
During the 1920’s the US was under the 18th amendment that prohibited the manufacture of intoxicating liquors – prohibition. The US was also taking part in WWI at the beginning of the 20s. The 20s were known as the Roaring twenties and are known for bootleggers, prosperity, and the jazz age.